Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Less Modern Apothecary

World Without End is sooooo good!  Laura, I know you are a devoted reader and I'm charging you with the task of finding this book so I may read it!!!



I've already touched on my distaste for medical doctors in one of my previous blogs.  I feel now is the time to add that I don't dislike ALL doctors.  I have been to some very wonderful doctors in my time.  The good doctors are quickly becoming a minority though.  They are being replaced by doctors who don't have the time or courage to care for their patients.  Just like my experience the other day, I was in and out of the examination room in 5 minutes with an antibiotic that I don't believe I need.

A combination of that experience and World Without End is what led me to write this post.  One of the main characters, Caris, makes "potions" to heal people.  Of course she is accused of being a witch, and I came close to crying when they burned her herb garden.  :-(  But, it prompted me to do some research.

Many of you already know that I prefer "natural" cures. Modern medicine just doesn't impress me that much.  Antibiotics are over-prescribed, new drugs are released onto the market that have side effects that will most generally outweigh the benefits.  And while I'm positive there are patients who DO need these drugs, and that the benefits will outweigh the risks for those patients...well, let's say I've seen a few too many lawsuits pop up in the past several years concerning the dangerous side effects of drugs.  At this point there are a portion of my readers saying, "Wait a second, herbs have side effects, too!" and they do!  I just don't understand why people choose to put chemicals into their bodies when there are plants and herbs they can grow in their gardens (for pennies) that will do the same job, and most of the time, have less risky side effects.


1 comment: